Quick Links

Election Results

Current Elected Officials

Election Judges

Provisional Voting

Candidate List

Purchase Products

Election Calendar

Election Day FAQs

Polling Places

Contact Us


State Board of Elections
Follow the Board of Elections on Facebook

Board of Election News and Information:

Important FAQS:

Can I vote in the Primary Election if I am not registered Democrat or Republican?

Maryland has closed primary elections, so registered Democrats receive a Democrat ballot, Republicans receive a Republican ballot and all other registered voters receive an Non-Partisan ballot which consists of Board of Education only for this election cycle.

How do I change my party affiliation?

To change your party affiliation you can use Maryland's Online Voter Registration System (OLVR) or submit a new voter registration' application or a signed written request to your local board of elections. The deadline to change your party affiliation is June 3, 2014 for the Gubernatorial Primary Election and October 14, 2014 for the Gubernatorial General Election. If you request a change in party affiliation after these dates, your request will be held at your local board of elections and processed when registration reopens after the elections.

What happens when I arrive at my polling place on Election Day?

  1. You can bring one or two children under 18 years old with you to vote. Under Maryland law, the children can accompany you as long as they do not disrupt or interfere with normal voting procedures. (Election Law Article, sec. 10-308, Annotated Code of Maryland).
  2. You cannot use your cell phone, pager, camera, and computer equipment in an early voting center or at a polling place.
  3. You can bring any printed material - including your marked specimen ballot - to help you vote.
  4. Some first time voters in Maryland will be asked to show ID before voting. If you are asked to show ID, please show an election judge one of the following forms of ID:

    • A copy of a current and valid photo ID (i.e., Maryland driver's license, MVA ID card, student, employee, or military ID card, U.S. passport, or any other State or federal government-issued ID card); or
    • A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address. Current means that the document is dated within 3 months of the election.
  5. When you go vote, you can wear clothing, buttons or stickers with political messages, but you must leave the early voting center or polling place immediately after voting.
  6. In a general election, you can write-in the name of a candidate, but in a primary election, you cannot. Instructions on how to cast a write-in vote and a listing of the filed write-in candidates will be posted at the early voting centers and at your polling place on Election Day.
  7. If your employer asks for proof that you voted, ask an election judge for a Certificate of Participation.


The Carroll County Board of Elections is pleased to provide the information on this site as a service to the general public. We hope you will find the information useful and informative. Please note that election procedures and laws are subject to change, sometimes rapidly. As a result, we cannot guarantee that the information on our site will always be up to date, complete or reflect the latest legal rulings or interpretations.

For additional information, the staff is available during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please contact the office by calling 410-386-2080, by faxing 410-876-3925 or by e-mailing ccboe@ccg.carr.org.