The Carroll County Sheriff's Office is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all those who meet the necessary requirements to apply.
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED recognized by the State Board of Education
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must possess a valid driver's license from the state of residence
Correctional Deputy Sheriff and Civilian Applicants, including Court Security
- Must be a United States citizen or a resident alien
- Must be at least 18 years of age;
- Must be 21 years of age for Court Security
Law Enforcement Deputy Sheriff
- Must be a United States citizen
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of certification
- Must be eligible to possess and use a handgun
|DO NOT APPLY IF YOU HAVE...
- Convictions for selling, manufacturing or distributing of a CDS, narcotic drug, or marijuana
- Ever illegally sold, produced, cultivated, distributed or transported a CDS, narcotic drug, or marijuana
- Any illegal use of a CDS, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within 3 years of application
- Ever illegally used a CDS, narcotic drug, or marijuana while employed as a Federal, State, or local law enforcement officer
- Ever used Heroin, PCP, or LSD
- Ever used ANY hallucinogenic drug (psilocybin (mushrooms), Ecstasy, mescaline, etc.)
- Used a combination of more than five (5) lifetime uses of a CDS (Cocaine, Methamphetamine, Anabolic Steroids and other CDS, or more than one (1) use since becoming 21 year old
- More than twenty (20) lifetime uses of marijuana, or more than one (1) use of marijuana since becoming 21 years old (Law Enforcement Deputy Sheriff applicants ONLY)
- More than twenty (20) lifetime uses of marijuana between the past 3 to 10 years (Correctional Deputy Sheriff and Civilian applicants ONLY)
|DWI / DUI
||Been convicted of or received Probation Before Judgement (PBJ) for any Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) charge(s) on two (2) or more occasions; or, you have been convicted or received Probation Before Judgement (PBJ) for DWI/DUI within the past five (5) years (Law Enforcement and Correctional Deputy Sheriff applicants ONLY)
- Been convicted of (5) moving violations with 3 years of application. (speed and red light camera tickets do not apply) Law Enforcement and Correctional Deputy Sheriff applicants ONLY
- Been convicted of Perjury, in any state
||Every been a member of a criminal gang or security threat group.
||Been discharged from the military with a "Dishonorable" discharge.
||A driver's license that has been suspended, canceled, or revoked within 3 years of application. (Law Enforcement and Correctional Deputy Sheriff applicants ONLY)
Hiring & Selection Process
The Carroll County Sheriff’s Office Hiring and Selection Process is comprised of several phases and is divided into two stages. The first stage is the Pre-Offer Stage and is comprised of several phases which are completed prior to being presented with a conditional offer of employment. The Post-Offer Stage is comprised of several additional phases which are to be completed after being presented with a conditional offer of employment. Applicants must successfully complete each phase applicable to their job posting in order to remain eligible and continue in the process. Applicants will be notified by email as they advance through the hiring process. Prior to all final job offers, the Sheriff will review all qualified applicant information and determine which applicant(s) will be chosen to receive a final offer of employment.
Click here to see full Hiring and Selection Process